Top Community Contributors
Introducing RepoDoc, a document generator for Enterprise Architect
Written by Archimetes
SysML 1.4 reference card
Written by Guillaume
Enterprise Architect User Group: London 2017
Written by DT_Sam
Enterprise Architect identified for Agile Development and DevOps: SD Times In-depth Feature
Written by sparxsystems
Panorama 360 Insurance and Wealth Management Enterprise Business Framework is available on Amazon
Written by Pierre Gagne
RepoDoc, a call for testing
Written by ArchimetesRead more...
We are Profiling EA Users
Written by sparxsystems
Managing a student project with Enterprise Architect - Part 4
Written by doug rosenberg
We are enthusiastic IT Architects using Enterprise Architect on a daily basis. During our common journey with it we needed to generate huge amounts of both internal and customer documentation. As we needed more flexibility in the process we’ve decided to develop our own documentation tool - RepoDoc.
Try RepoDoc, a new way of documenting your repository.
It’s easy to use, powerful and we offer it for free to anyone willing to test or help.
What is RepoDoc?
A document generator add-in for Enterprise Architect.
What makes it special?
- uses plain text templates that are easy to create, modify and maintain,
- offers flexible repository filtering capabilities,
- makes non-linear document generation possible,
- supports a wide range of document formats including, but not limited to, HTML, LaTeX, PDF, Markdown, AsciiDoc, CSV, XML or JSON files, SVG, source codes in different languages,
- contains a built-in post processor.
How can you help?
- try it out and submit your wishes for a must/nice to have functionality,
- write a new interesting template or let us know what kind of template would you need.
What you can achieve?
Here are few examples of documents, generated with RepoDoc. Find more at www.archimetes.com.
UML model overview (HTML)
Requirements catalogue (LaTeX)
Dependency graphs (DOT/Graphviz)
Dependencies between UML elements.
Dependencies between Archimate elements.
Class diagram overview (AsciiDoc)
Package list (JSON)
RepoDoc is a powerful document generator for Enterprise Architect able to produce a variety of document formats using templates written in any text editor. It follows the same principles as the default document generator included in Enterprise Architect by taking:
- Starting point in the repository determining the part of your model you wish to document i.e. a root package.
- Document template that tells RepoDoc what to take out from the repository and where to put it into a document.
RepoDoc works with plain text templates and allows you to generate your own customized HTML, LaTeX, Markdown or AsciiDoc documents, but also CSV, XML or JSON files, GraphViz graphs, SVG diagrams and even source codes in different languages. With RepoDoc you can also generate PDF documents easily using the built in post-processing feature.
Using a plain text template has several advantages:
- Templates may be edited in any text editor,
- Changes in the templates can be easily tracked and you can put them in a version control system,
- Templates can be managed centrally by storing them on a shared filesystem so other users in the company can easily access them and use them in different projects.
To demonstrate the document generation we’ll use:
- the pre-installed HTML document template for RepoDoc,
- the standard
EAExample.eapmodel that is shipped with every Enterprise Architect and is typically stored in the
c:\Program Files (x86)\Sparx Systems\EAdirectory.
Please install RepoDoc first and follow these steps:
- Open the
EAExample.eapmodel in Enterprise Architect and select the
UML Modelingpackage in the Project browser.
- Right-click on the selected package and choose Extensions -> RepoDoc -> Control Panel. RepoDoc starts and presents itself with the Document generator form.
- Select the About dialog and click the
Downloadlicense key button if your are using RepoDoc for the first time. Then switch back to the Document generator.
- Click the
...button in the first row and select the
UML-model-documentation.html.rdttemplate from the dialog.
- Click the
Generate documentbutton. RepoDoc generates a HTML documentation for the
UML Modelingpackage and outputs information similar to this one:
RepoDoc comes with several pre-installed document templates. You’ll find these templates in the RepoDoc installation directory or you can download the templates. The document examples based on these templates are depicted below.
1. UML model documentation based on the HTML template
2. Class diagram documentation created with the AsciiDoc template and Asciidoctor-pdf