Specification Manager introduced in Enterprise Architect 11, provides a simple document view for editing and maintaining model elements in Enterprise Architect. Specification Manager's Word Processor like interface makes it easier for the key stake holders and business users to contribute and maintain the model elements.
This document intends to peek into the features of Specification Manager and how its combination with other Enterprise Architect's features and plugins makes Enterprise Architect a powerful Application Life Cycle Modeling tool, especially in the area of Requirements and Use Case management.
The disruptive innovations like Social Media, Mobility, Analytics and Cloud are forcing the organizations to change their rigid operations and process to sustain their business. Organizations are looking to embrace the Automated Application Lifecycle Management tools to minimize the risks caused by these innovations.
However most of the organizations existing artifacts are stored in the Word processors and they face the below challenges while embracing the tools.
Top reasons that deter any organization/end user from embracing an ALM/Modeling/Requirements Management tools are
- Challenge of Migrating the existing documents in the Word Processors to the Tools
- Users reluctance to move away from the word processor environment which they are comfortable with
- Learning Curve for the end users to familiarize themselves with the tools.
It is imperative that any ALM / Modeling / Requirement Management tools should have the following features to be more successful
- Ability to import the artefacts from the existing word processors
- Ability to export the EA elements back in the form Word processors/html for wider circulation
- Provide an Interface similar to the word processors for ease of use
The below table list the key features Sparx Enterprise Architect that helps organizations to address the above challenges
Interface Similar to Word Processors
Import Artefacts from word processors
Export Elements back to Word Processors
CSV import feature
EA word importer (free plug –in)
Key Features of Specification Manager
Word Processor like Interface
View and Edit Requirements or other element types in a view that looks like a document
The interface enables the
- Users to modify the elements properties and Metadata.
- The Notes and the Requirement Names can be modified like a word processor.
- Linked documents
· Relationships to other elements
- Resource allocations
- Maintenance items
Each indicator icon can be double-clicked to take you to that information
- See exactly which Relationship Matrix profiles exist for that package and open them
- Create new Relationship Matrix profiles for the elements you are viewing quickly and easily
- See the available Relationship Matrix profiles for visible packages
With the introduction of Specification Manager , Enterprise Architect will satisfy the needs of the Business User who is looking for a familiar word processor like interface and the Corporates need for a dynamic Application Management Tool which with live traceability which can be used in a distributed environment.
EA Word Importer is a free plugin that lets you import your requirements, Use Cases and other information from your Word documents into Enterprise Architect as model elements.
The below diagram depicts a typical life cycle of Requirements and Use cases flow using Enterprise Architect where Requirements and Use cases are already created in Word Processors.
With the introduction of Specification Manager and EAWordImporter , Enterprise Architect offers the power of comprehensive Requirements Management tool at a very competitive price.