RepoDoc is a powerful document generator for Enterprise Architect able to produce a variety of document formats using plain text templates written in any text editor. It follows the same principles as the default document generator included in Enterprise Architect by taking:
- Starting point in the repository determining the part of your model you wish to document i.e. a root package.
- Document template that tells RepoDoc what to take out from the repository and where to put it into a document.
RepoDoc works with Liquid templates and allows you to generate your own customized HTML, LaTeX, Markdown or AsciiDoc documents, but also CSV, XML or JSON files, GraphViz graphs, SVG diagrams and even source codes in different languages. With RepoDoc you can also generate PDF documents easily using the built in post-processing feature.
Using a plain text template has several advantages:
- Templates may be edited in any text editor,
- Changes in the templates can be easily tracked and you can put them in a version control system,
- Templates can be managed centrally by storing them on a shared filesystem so other users in the company can easily access them and use them in different projects.
To demonstrate the document generation we’ll use:
- the pre-installed HTML document template for RepoDoc,
- the standard
EAExample.eapmodel that is shipped with every Enterprise Architect and is typically stored in the
c:\Program Files (x86)\Sparx Systems\EAdirectory.
Please install RepoDoc first and follow these steps:
- Open the
EAExample.eapmodel in Enterprise Architect and select the
UML Modelingpackage in the Project browser.
- Right-click on the selected package and choose Extensions -> RepoDoc -> Control Panel. RepoDoc starts and presents itself with the Document generator form.
- Select the About dialog and click the
Downloadlicense key button if your are using RepoDoc for the first time. Then switch back to the Document generator.
- Click the
...button in the first row and select the
UML-model-documentation.html.liquidtemplate from the dialog.
- Click the
Generate documentbutton. RepoDoc generates a HTML documentation for the
UML Modelingpackage and outputs information similar to this one:
RepoDoc comes with several pre-installed document templates. You’ll find these templates in the RepoDoc installation directory or you can download the templates. The document examples based on these templates are depicted below.
1. UML model documentation based on the HTML template
2. Class diagram documentation created with the AsciiDoc template and Asciidoctor-pdf
3. Element relationships across an Archimate model created with the DOT template and Graphviz
4. JSON formatted list of packages and diagrams in the model created with JSON template
Creating document templates
Feel free to modify the pre-installed templates or create new templates easily in any text editor. RepoDoc makes use of the Enterprise Architect class model and Liquid template language. You can find template examples and tips at www.archimetes.com.