purchase

enzh-CNcsnlfrdehiiditkoplptruskessv

My Profile

Social Media Channels

facebook  twitter  youtube   linkedin

danielsiegl

danielsiegl

Daniel Siegl

LieberLieber Software GmbH (Chief Executive Officer)

Daniel Siegl, since 2006 Head of Development and since August 2009 Managing Director of LieberLieber Software GmbH [www.lieberlieber.com]. He is the driver behind LieberLieber efforts in making AMUSE a highly valuable tool for the Sparx Systems EA Community. LieberLieber has been dealing with MDSD since its foundation and develops plug-ins and customer-specific interfaces and extensions for Enterprise Architect from Sparx Systems. In addition LieberLieber develops tailor-made software solutions in the Automotive, Aeronautics/Defense, Banking/Insurance and the Gaming Industry.

Running EA on a Server can be very helpful for Integration or Build Server Purposes.

In an older Blog Post we documented how to do it for Windows 2003 Server - this way doesn't work any more.

In Windows Server 2008R2 Microsoft introduced Session-0 security – easy explanation: so it becomes much harder for interactive service to run as Local System and interact with users.

If you want to run EA (an interactive app) as an unattended Windows Service (as an interactive service) you have to do some strange steps to achieve it. Follow the Version 1.0 of the attached whitepaper to make it happen again

Friday, 15 October 2010 07:11

Running Enterprise Architect on a Server

We run Enterprise Architect on our Teamcity Continuous Integration Server so we can update class diagrams on build – or run unit tests for some of our Enterprise Architect integration projects - like AMUSE.

Some of this information was already published on our blog about a year ago.

• First of all you need to install Enterprise Architect on the server and start it once so you are able to enter the license code.
  • Next you need to make sure that the Service - in our case the "build agent" is using an interactive User that can also start Enterprise Architect when logged on.
  • if you try now you will end up with an error message like

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {8667FE5E-6D96-400A-AF0A-15C29F94DFCD} failed due to the following error: 80080005.

• The code suggests lack of permission to use the COM interface from within the windows service. Solution: you must configure DCom (EA.App)
    • Open COM-Components-Window and navigate to DCOM, EA.App
    • right-click EA.App and go to properties
    • go to security tab and customize Launch Permissions
    • add the user from above permitted to launch EA and grant full permissions
    • in EA.App Properties move on to Identity-Tab, and change user to the one entered before in Launch permissions

For those who already forgot all of their COM+ knowledge I enclose two pictures below to guide you:

This is what you are looking for "Component Services"

Locate the EA.APP and go to properties

As always I hope this is of value to some people out there.

Recording Sequence Diagrams with EA is a powerful feature, nevertheless it takes some time to figure out how to do it. This Article is not a full tutorial but it should help you to get started. This content was originally posted on our blog.

Lately I been investigating the options Enterprise Architect offers to record Sequence Diagrams from code, because we want to learn for LieberLieber AMUSE.

And I found a pretty interesting result:

It only takes into account “Classes” and not “Instances”.

There are two links that proved helpful – a video tutorial from Sparx Systems and a Blog post from Tom Peplow.

Setup is similar to what is required for NUnit – refer to this Post for hints.

I used my very Simple Account Class from the NUnit sample.

Then I prepared a little runner that would record a Sequence Chart using Enterprise Architects Debugger.

The result I’m getting from Enterprise Architect looks like this:

It doesn’t take into account that I have two instances of the same class – I would have rather expected it to look like:

The feature is usable but you have to be careful when interpreting the results EA is showing to you.

Enterprise Architect from Sparx Systems allows you to integrate NUnit unit tests into your project. As the new build of EA (8.863) now supports .net 4.0 I revisited this functionality and prepared a little walkthrough.

All of this work has been done on Windows 7 x64 with Visual Studio 2010.  In order to have as little troubles as possible you have to go for the x86 version of the tools so everything works nicely. As EA is a x86 Application using the x64 Tools will not work.

In order run this you need at least NUnit 2.5.5 – where as I went with the latest Version NUnit 2.5.7

I prepared a simple demo solution in Visual Studio 2010 that consists of an Accounts an Accounts Test Project.

Using Resharper from Jetbrains I can run my unit tests nicely inside Visual Studio 2010

Next I generate a new Project inside Enterprise Architect. Inside the new Model I than “Add a Package” named  “AccountsClassModel”.

A right click on this new Package “AccountsClassModel” allows me to call the “Import Source Directory” function of Enterprise Architect.

As my Visual Studio Solution is in “C:\Source\Accounts” I specify this directory as the Root Directory. As my 2 Projects reside in separate folders below the root folder it is important to check the “Recursively Process Subdirectories” Option

It takes a little while for EA to import the sources and generate the required items inside our Package.

ImgA

After the Import is done – we will see a similar structure in the Project Browser as we did before in Visual Studio.

Imgb

To be able to build, configure and run stuff from inside EA we need to show the “Debugger” Window.

ImgD

Inside the “Debugger” Window have to configure “Package Build Scripts” – those Scripts tell EA what to do when we “Build” or “Run” the solution.

imgE

When this is called for the first time we will see an empty list. By pressing “Add” we can move forward to con figure the scripts.

imgF

The first “Tab” that is interesting for us is the “Build” one. We use msbuild.exe to compile the Solution just like Visual Studio is doing it.

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\msbuild.exe Accounts.sln /Target:Rebuild

img10

After hitting “Ok” we can run our script from the Debug Window using the context menu.

img11

If everything is setup correctly we should see 0 Errors in the “Build” Tab of the “Output” Window.

img12

We can easily go back to editing our Script with the “Edit Script” option from the context menu.

img14

As I am running an x64 setup I have to make sure the .net .dll’s are compiled for x86 – therefore we need to enhance the command line from before a little bit.

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\msbuild.exe Accounts.sln /Target:Rebuild /Property:Config=Debug;Platform=x86

img15

As we have prepared our Visual Studio Solution for x86 compilation we will receive an error when we try to compile the solution now.

img1b

So we need to go back to Visual Studio’s “Configuration Manager” and add a new “Solution Platform”.

img16

After this step the Dialog should look like this. Don’t forget to save the Solution in Visual Studio. – If you now recompile with the Build Script from EA the package should be built fine.

img18

Now we can configure Nunit to run with Enterprise Architect – be careful in defining the x86 versions of the tools so it will work on x64 computers.

“C:\Program Files (x86)\NUnit 2.5.7\bin\net-2.0\nunit-console-x86.exe” AccountsTest\bin\x86\Debug\AccountsTest.dll

Don’t forget to select the correct “Output Parser” – which is “NUnit”

img24

Next we need to show the “Testing” Window inside Enterprise Architect.

img26

The “Testing” Window will look empty – so let’s go and run some tests!

img25

5 Test Cases could be run and they have been added to the Model.

img28

Visiting the “Unit” Tab of the Testing Window will now show the test results from our NUnit execution.

img2a

The first European Enterprise Architect User Group meeting was held in London at the Institute of Directors in London on Tuesday 9th October 2012.

The meeting sponsored by Dunstan Thomas Holdings Ltd, LieberLieber GmbH, and Ability Engineering Ltd was well attended with around 40 attendees.

The meeting presented an opportunity for Enterprise Architect users from a wide variety of organisations from varied disciplines to meet and exchange experiences in addition to the more formal part of the meeting.

The formal agenda of the meeting comprised of five main sections

1)      Introduction to Enterprise Architect version10

Presented as an hour long video narrated by senior members of Sparx Systems it highlighted the new features that will be included in the next release. As Sparx have requested that these not be made public I cannot describe the highlights, but needless to say the future of Enterprise Architect looks very bright indeed. Useful additional information was provided by Daniel Siegl of LieberLieber GmbH.

2)      Creating Excellent Documents

Presented by Ian Mitchell of Ability Engineering Ltd, the session provided attendees with an insight into the easy and flexible manner in which quality documentation can be produced from Enterprise Architect repositories directly into Word documents. The product, known as eaDocX (pronounced “EAdocks”), provides an intuitive interface which allows great flexibility in the production of documentation, including formatting rules and powerful relationship analysis. Ian also demonstrated the Corporate Edition of eaDocX ability to integrate with Excel which opens a wealth of round-trip possibilities.

3)      Requirements Management – The Best of Both Worlds

Presented by Phil Chudley of Dunstan Thomas Holdings Ltd who made the case for organisations having both a high-end Requirements Management System and Enterprise Architect so as to leverage and consolidate the best functionality of both products. This can be achieved through the use of import / export between the two systems, or through the use of an extension written especially to provide integration functionality. Sparx Systems provide such an extension for DOORS. Phil supported his discussion by illustrating an extension, available from Dunstan Thomas Holdings Ltd that provides integration between MicroFocus (Borland) CaliberRM (versions 2008 and 10.1) and Enterprise Architect.

4)      EA in Distributed Environments

Presented by Daniel Siegl from LieberLieber GmbH who drew on their in depth experience with Enterprise Architect to provide a very informative session on the options, advantages and disadvantages of using Enterprise Architect in a distributed environment. The shared database, local database with central version control and Enterprise Architect’s security model were discussed and compared. The surprise was Daniel also covered the use of Enterprise Architect on the web and in the cloud illustrated by a tantalising demonstration of EnArWeb a product which gives real-time access to EA textual data via a web interface and available from LieberLieber GmbH.

5)      User Stories

No not Agile! The last session was most informative as it provided an opportunity for Matt Taylor from Pilat Media, followed by Xinming Jin from Barclays Bank to share with the user group their experiences in using Enterprise Architect to create very large model repositories.  Matt described how his BA team (distributed world-wide) have adopted Enterprise Architect for all client facing projects. They use BPMN 2.0 as their modelling notation and eaDocX for all their documentation requirements. It was most inspiring to her how his team have migrated from the “Visio Approach” to the modelling approach reaping the benefits of good repository structure, re-usability and traceability.

Xinming shared a constructing approach in the use of Enterprise Architect, using a depth wise approach rather than a breadthwise approach. Barclays Bank have developed a really enormous repository in which they have modelled everything from Customer UI, through Business Processes, Conceptual Data Model right down to very specific and highly customised Java code generation. Indeed, Xinming drew gasps of amazement and admiration when he mention that tens of thousands of lines of quality and consistent Java code has (and is being) generated from their reposirtory.

A fundamental point conveyed by both presenters is that Enterprise Architect is perfectly scalable to handle extremely large and complex model, providing that the repository is well structured and everyone involved in the project has the necessary “buy-in” as to the benefits in modelling and in the use of Enterprise Architect.

The feedback received was extremely positive and the consensus of opinion was that regular meetings should be organised.

Tuesday, 16 October 2012 11:09

EnArWeb 1.0 has been released!

Open your Web browser and immediately start working with the Data in your Enterprise Architect from Sparx Systems Repository. EnArWEB reduces EA’s complexity to several aggregated views matching the needs of your daily work and shortens the learning curve dramatically. The result is stored directly in a central EA repository and is immediately available for other users working at the same time on the same model. Customizable views fulfil the needs of each involved role and enable everybody involved in a project to participate in the workflow around an EA model. The Idea is to make the assets in your EA Repository more accesible in your organisation! See all the Details on the Product Website: http://www.lieberlieber.com/model-engineering/enarweb/ 

The sample screenshots are all showing requirements, nevertheless EnArWeb can also be used for other items.

Detail view of a single requirment inside the EA repository. In this case editing is possible - e.g. change the status during a review meeting:

A matrix view of all requirements in a certain view. If you click a number you automatically get a list view showing the requirments:

One of the list views you can have in EnArWeb showing requirements.

Finally a nice piechart showing the status of your requirements.

Thursday, 16 August 2012 10:01

AMUSE 2.2 - "Free Edition"

Our Statemachine and Activity Diagram Execution for Enterprise Architect is is now also available in a "Free" Version. See below for a Feature  Comparision:

Download Free Edition or request the trial license for the Professional Edition:

AMUSE Features Free Edition Pro Edition
UML-Model execution in Enterprise Architect
Event simulation
Monitoring attribute values
Validation and auto-correction rules
Trace Viewer for simulation events
Automation of UML-Models using external resources
Automation of external Components using UML-Models
Parallel execution and visualization of multiple instances  
Message broadcasting between multiple instances  
Editing of attribute values at runtime  
Code Generation: UML => Embedded C (*)  
Wednesday, 05 October 2011 11:45

LieberLieber AMUSE 2.0 was released today.

Today we launch LieberLieber AMUSE 2.0! The next evolution of our leading edge UML/SysML Simulation and Execution extension for Enterprise Architect from Sparx Systems.

You can get your copy for Evaluation from: here

Find more Details on our Blog: https://blog.lieberlieber.com/2011/10/05/amuse-2-0-your-solution-for-uml-simulation-and-execution-in-enterprise-architect/

We are very proud to announce that the Embedded Solution we showed at the Embedded World 2011 has finally been completed. This tool chain was jointly developed with the Embedded and Rhapsody Experts from Germany – together with Willert Software Tools.  It was possible to generate a very nice experience for embedded developers at a fraction of the cost of a traditional embedded solution.

More Information and links to the Evaluation can be found on: 

https://blog.lieberlieber.com/2011/07/05/amuse-from-lieberlieber-and-rxf-from-willert-the-embedded-for-enterprise-architect/

Thursday, 03 March 2011 11:52

Free Enterprise Architect Spy released

LieberLieber is very proud to announce the release of a "free" Enterprise Architect Add-In!

It is an absolute "must have" for anybody developing Add-Ins for EA.

All details can be found on our Blog:

http://blog.lieberlieber.com/2011/03/01/free-tool-enar-spy-for-enterprise-architect/

Coding for Enterprise Architect often requires lookup of data not exposed by the GUI. So the coder ends up opening SQL Management Studio or MS Access to lookup data directly from the database tables.
EnAr Spy was built to ease lookups; here at LieberLieber, it reached essential-tool status rapidly.

Page 1 of 2